Statistics about Dabbawala's
1. DABBAWALA'S = lunch-box carriers
2. LOCATION : Mumbai , 120 years Old operation
3. ORGANIZATION : Mumbai Tiffin Box Suppliers Association (MTBSA)
4. MEMBERSHIP : 5,000
6. JOB : Deliver home-cooked food to offices in the western Indian city of Mumbai
7. REACH : 200,000 people
8. EFFICIENCY : Their life starts with braving Mumbai's heat, humidity and peak-hour traffic, reaching the homes of students, entrepreneurs of small businesses, managers, especially bank staff, and mill workers.
Anti-Naxalite unit officials have communicated the development to higher-ups in the Home department.
What intrigued the police and security officials was the “interest” of the Naxalite-Maoist cadre in the functioning of dabbawalas — a network which has access to almost every home in the city and suburbs.
“Ferreira’s pen drive contained information about how dabbawalas operated flawlessly within a systemic framework. The information is exhaustive and also lists how the system runs and makes profits,” said Pankaj Gupta, Special Inspector General of the anti-Naxalite unit.
Police claimed that Ferreira, a Bandra resident, was an active Maharashtra state committee member of the Communist Part of India (Maoist) and had considerable influence among the ultra-Left in the state. Other information contained in the pen -drive also revealed “his clear involvement” in the Naxalite-Maoist scheme of things, sources said.
“Information about this particular network (dabbawala) is a worrying development,” said Nagpur Police Commissioner SPS Yadav.
“Perhaps, the Naxalites were planning to infiltrate the dabbawala network and use it to their own advantage,” said a senior Intelligence official on condition of anonimity.